1. The Government Accountability Office says the USDA should improve eligibility verification for those getting free and reduced-price school meals, as there is apparently a lot of lying going on.
2. Schools having trouble meeting the new federal nutrition requirements may now apply for a 2-year flexibility waiver. Michelle Obama has vowed to fight back.
3. The School Nutrition Association has argued that the new school lunch standards have been difficult and costly while leading to lots of tossed food.
4. Now comes the new “Smart Snacks in Schools” rules whereby the USDA, for the first time ever, will set nutrition guidelines for every food that schools offer all day long.
5. LeVar Burton’s crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter reached its $1 million goal in less than one day for the renewal of Reading Rainbow.