1. Schools are now devoting time to teach keyboarding skills to be ready for all the online testing nowadays; some call this another form of test prep.
2. The U.S. Department of Education is giving out 5 to 7 grants of between $400,000 and $600,000 to various tribal communities.
3. The Obama administration has given more then $3 billion to states and D.C. to turn around their worst performing schools, but most of them lacked the expertise to improve these schools.
4. So far, only 13 states and D.C. have formally adopted the new science standards; one reason is that they’re all so busy implementing the Common Core Standards.
5. Both the AFT and NEA teacher unions, both of which initially backed and promoted ObamaCare, now want to overturn the law’s excise tax on high-cost employer-provided health-care plans, which “requires employers to pay a penalty of 40% on the amount by which the aggregate costs exceed $10,000 for individual plans and $27,500 for family plans.
6.On the international PISA exam, our 15-year-olds placed 28th in math and science tests. Singapore came in a #1. followed by Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. probation, a $10,000 fine for each, and 2,000 hours of community service.