A School-Wise Grab Bag of 2018 Christmas Facts:
- According to a recent Harris poll, 60% of the 1,000 parents surveyed said they’d had a holiday surprise ruined when their child/significant other found its hiding place.
- A Toy Association survey of 1,000 parents found that 94% of them buy toys that are labelled as being too old for their kids. (For toy safety advice, go to www.playsafe.org.)
- While we want to encourage children to trade devices for toys and play, these 2018 trending toys might not quite cut it for you:
- Doggie Doo ~ Where popping poop earns fart tokens.
- Flushin’ Frenzy ~ Win by grabbing the most poop that flies from the flushed toilet.
- Pimple Pete ~ Win by popping the most pimples–but not Mega-Zit, which squirts out pimple juice.
- Snot It ~ Win by being the first to collect 10 boogers.
- Smashers Series 2: Gross Smashers ~ Kids smash the eyeballs, open them up to find a slimy, creepy-looking characters inside; they’re considered collectibles.
- The top 10 movies of all time:
1) Scrooged (1988)
2) It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
3) Elf (2003)
4) Love Actually (2003)
5) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
6) National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
7) Die Hard (1988) (Really?)
8) The Apartment (1960)
9) A Christmas Carol (1951)
10) A Christmas Story 1983
- Amid all the brouhaha, the 1959 Dean Martin classic version of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” has jumped from #31 on Billboard’s Digital Song Sales Chart to #10.
- Tip generously to those who serve you well during the year, with a few guidelines from Gramercy Protocol, LLC’s Lena Koropey:
- House cleaner: The cost of one day’s cleaning
- Hair stylists, barbers, manicurists, and the like: The cost of one service
- Mail carriers: Government workers can accept gifts up to only $20, as well as gift cards.
With my many thanks, merry everything to you all and good health, too, as you gather this Christmas, craft your resolutions, and work hard to keep them in 2019. May it be a very good year for you and yours. ~ Carol