We’ve come a long way since the days of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson who were shown dressed to the hilt and sitting—just sitting–on the edge of their twin beds facing each other. That was then; this is now,, as, young and old, we soak up sex-saturated movies, concerts, and ads for everything from beer and perfume to burgers and autos.
Television shows have “grown up,” too, with many intended for the teen set, such as…
- Netflix’s Sex Education, which opens with a man and woman going at.
- Netflix’s Big Mouth which acknowledges that “if it weren’t animated, it would skate too close to being child pornography.”
- HBO’s Euphoria which is about a 17-year-old trans girl who meets up with a married man on a dating app, and then the two of them have violent sex in a motel.
Then there are drama series watched by adults and youngsters alike, such as TNT’s Temptation Island and CBS’s Love Island, where couples decouple, are tempted by scantily clad others, then ultimately change partners, go back to their original l”loves,” or go it alone. Regardless, the bodies shine and shimmer in exotic island settings.
- A 2018 GFK survey of 2,000 people found that, nationwide, 81% of women and 43% of men reported experiencing some form of sexual harassment and/or assault.
- A February 1st USA Today headline read, “Sexual Assaults Rise 50% at Military Academies to the Tune of 747 Incidents of Unwanted Sexual Conduct.”
- A 2018 Gallup poll revealed that 43% of Americans say that pornography is morally acceptable, up 7% in just one year.
- According to the 2017 Census Bureau, 40% of children are born to unwed mothers, 66% of whom are under 30.
- About 72 million children are raised without fathers.
- Of the 12 million single parent families with kids under 18, 80% are headed by women.
At the same time, the #MeToo Movement spread in 2017 and continues to gain traction, now involving millions speaking out against sexual harassment and/or assault.
And so it’s been going with many mocking traditional values, the importance of two-parent families, and the place for religion, too, while simultaneously shaking their heads, bemoaning the state of things, and pointing fingers…
With my thanks, Carol